Featured Post

Ellen, please be kind to the planet, not just to your fellow humans, gorillas in Rwanda

LUNCHTIME IN RWANDA: Ellen DeGeneres, right, and wife Portia de Rossi with a mountain gorilla. The Ellen DeGeneres Wildlife Fund  is supp...

Saturday, March 16, 2019

Homeowner has another reason to worry when he tries to use his WorryFree service

When the pilot light on my gas-fired water heater went out, I called PSE&G and asked them to send over a service technician. But no one was available for 2 days. Then, the technician sent here had to order a part, which took another day and a half to arrive. But no technician was available for another 2 days to install it.

EDITOR'S NOTE: After I posted this, I recalled a brief conversation with my doctor during a routine exam on how to get a PSE&G technician to come to your house right away. "My wife always tells them she smells gas," he said, whether or not she does. Sad, but true.

By VICTOR E. SASSON
EDITOR

HACKENSACK, N.J. -- The home I bought in the Fairmount section of this small city in 2007 had been completely renovated three years earlier.

But any homeowner knows -- and I soon learned -- that owning a house can be a real pain as appliances age and storm-filled seasons come and go.

So, I turned to PSE&G for what the public utility calls a WorryFree Residential Contract -- basically insurance on appliances, water heaters and central air conditioners that covers repairs, but not replacement and not always parts.

Last week, after I had some electrical work done in the house that required turning off of the power, my son complained the water in his shower was ice cold (probably just a coincidence).

2-day wait for service

The next day, I called PSE&G, but was told a service technician wasn't available for 2 days. 

No, I was told by a woman in customer service, the public utility hadn't laid off half of their technicians, as I suggested.

And another puzzling factor was the nice weather -- no storms and no snow that would demand a lot of PSE&G technicians.

So, while I waited, I called Rheem, the manufacturer, and Mike, one of the techs there, walked me through relighting the pilot. 

But it didn't stay lit for long.

So, my wife and I heated pots of water on the stove, carried them upstairs and emptied them into the sink of our master bathroom, and used a washcloth, shampoo, deodorant, toothpaste, mouthwash and shampoo to clean up. 

Water heater needs part

When the PSE&G guy did show up, the fault code on the water heater indicated I needed to replace the flammable vapor sensor, but he said he had to order the part.

"Our guys are always going to the supply house, so it could come in later today," he said. 

But it didn't. 

I got an email from PSE&G on Wednesday afternoon that the part had arrived, but when I tried to schedule the repair, no PSE&G tech was available for 2 days.

So, I again called Rheem and was told the part, covered by the warranty, would be sent to my home overnight, and the tech I spoke with assured me I could install it myself.

I wasn't sure (I'm not much of a do-it-yourselfer), so took a look at PSE&G's online service scheduling -- now, no tech was available for 4 days.

Arrives after noon

I thought the part would arrive first thing in the morning, but it didn't get here until a little after noon (and another bath-from-a-pot). 

I had called Rheem again to track the shipment, and when I got off the phone, a FedEx truck was outside my house.

And, yes, I was able to install the sensor myself by inserting the part into a plastic collar and connecting two wires from the water heater to the device. 

Relighting the pilot involved unplugging the water heater, shutting the gas line, turning off the vented blower and turning the dial seven times from "low" to "very hot."

So, we didn't have hot water for 5 days, and, as you can imagine, my hot shower on Friday morning felt great. 

But now I'm worried that when we have another problem with an appliance, PSE&G won't be able to supply a technician for days.

So, what's the good of the monthly payments to cover repairs, if you're left to your own devices?


The flammable vapor sensor, shown below right on an instruction sheet, installs behind a metal cover under the white gas valve (with the red dial and on-off switch) by connecting two wires to the "male tabs" on the sensor. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep on topic.