|The developer of a 14-story apartment tower at Main and Mercer streets in downtown Hackensack has agreed to demolish a 2-story building at 142-48 Main St. that was damaged by construction work last summer, above.|
|Unresolved issues include compensation for the owner of the Rainbow Castle Preschool building after it is torn down, and when construction on the apartments will resume, above.|
City building officials stopped the construction last July after a pile-driving rig damaged and forced the evacuation of a 2-story, L-shaped building next to the site.
Now, Alkova Cos., the Edison-based developer, has agreed to tear down the damaged structure, which was condemned.
Although the project was the biggest and most visible in the city's ambitious downtown redevelopment plan when it ground to a halt last July, work on several other residential and retail projects continued.
In the campaign leading up to Tuesday's municipal election, two slates of challengers have wrongly blamed Mayor John Labrosse and his running mates for the stalled construction at 150-70 Main St.
The Record of Woodland Park ignored the suspension of work on the 382-unit building until last month, when an uninformed high-rise resident brought it up at private forum on Prospect Avenue.
"The work site is just a bare foundation," Staff Writer Rodrigo Torrejon reported, even though the foundation hasn't been built.
|A view from Moore Street of the preschool building that will be demolished.|
|Work continues on converting the old United Jersey Bank at 210 Main St. into apartments. The onetime office tower, built in 1926, will have 127 units crowned by an 11th floor with three duplex penthouse apartments.|
|An adjacent building on Moore Street also is being renovated.|
|On East Camden Street, this is all that's left of the Oritani Field Club, which was founded in 1887. The club closed in 2015, below. A 254-unit, 5-story apartment complex will be built on the site, which is across River Street from Hackensack Toyota.|
|Hekemian & Co., a Hackensack-based real estate development and management company, bought the club's 2.3 acres.|