|The sample ballot sent to the homes of registered voters before Tuesday's non-partisan City Council election in Hackensack. Today, the Record's Local news section greatly exaggerates the number of votes cast for candidates on three competing slates.|
Editor's note: This post has been updated with the total number of voters on Tuesday, and the total vote for each of 15 candidates, including mail-in and provisional ballots.
By VICTOR E. SASSON
In reporting the results, The Record told readers for the first time the owner of a Hackensack home assessed at $241,342 -- the city average -- will pay $5,109.69 in school taxes.
Mail-in ballots were sent in by 267 voters and 15 provisional ballots were counted -- for a grand total of 4,143 voters, according to the City Clerk's office.
In a non-partisan election, candidates don't run under party labels.
The other candidates' vote totals (with mail-in and provisional votes in parentheses) were:
Canestrino, 1,852 (including 108 and 6); Sims, 1,933 (109 and 7); Battaglia, 1,757 (92 and 6), and Von Rudenborg, 1,779 (101 and 7).
Their running mates' totals are:
Michael Williams, 1,267 (including 102 mail-in ballots and 4 provisional votes); Carlos Merino, 1,222 (101 and 4); and Rommy Buttafuoco, 1,195 (102 and 4).
Here are the totals for her running mates:
Rich Cerbo, son of a former mayor, 879 (including 58 mail-in and 5 provisional ballots); Angelica Carfi-Mendes, 864 (58 and 5); David Dungey, 826 (53 and 4); Rafael Del Rosario, 802 (56 and 3).
Comment on The Record
A reader of The Sasson Report who is a lawyer and a Democrat had this to say about The Record's story on the Hackensack election:
"Victor -- some comments on the Hackensack election:
"1. What were the people who wrote and laid out the article in today's paper smoking?
"First of all, they say that there was split opposition and that is why the Labrosse ticket won. There is always the argument that in a three-way field that the two losing sides cancelled each other out, but this is not the case here.
"The Labrosse slate got 45% and the other two split 55%, with about 35% to Zisa and 20% to the others. If Labrosse had gotten 10% of the other slates, he would have won. One would have to assume that the third slate was to a degree anti-Zisa.
"2. Why and for what reason is there a map of the Hackensack election districts in the paper today -- it only fills space? You cannot read it and it means nothing. The council members were not elected from districts.
"3. I read the Democrats' letter and two points are evident:
"a. It is in violation of state election law. I believe that any political mailing must have a line saying "paid for" along with the name of the treasurer of the pending entity. There is nothing here. There is also no return address and I believe that that is also required.
"b. I note that 10 of the signers are lawyers and they have 'Esq.' after there name. Why is a lawyer better or more knowledgeable than anyone else? When I am involved in a charitable organization or activity I do not put 'Esq.' after my name.
"Further, having someone identified as a lawyer in this letter does more harm than good. One can only assume that the people are supporting this ticket with the hopes of a payback or a job. Some of them were. This is clearly not clear thinking."
He ended his comment this way: "The only thing accurate about the letter is the jackass at the top."