Featured Post

Ellen, please be kind to the planet, not just to your fellow humans, gorillas in Rwanda

LUNCHTIME IN RWANDA: Ellen DeGeneres, right, and wife Portia de Rossi with a mountain gorilla. The Ellen DeGeneres Wildlife Fund  is supp...

Thursday, February 18, 2021

OXO and Costco may rhyme, but they are worlds apart on excellent customer service

If you find the expensive OXO Brew 9-Cup Coffee Maker isn't your cup of tea, the company will make you pay around $30 in postage to return it, then force you to jump through many hoops to get a refund. OXO is in effect saying, "How dare you dislike our product."

 

By VICTOR E. SASSON

EDITOR

HACKENSACK, N.J. -- I just got off the phone after talking to a woman named Dee who assured me she would look into why I haven't received a refund for an OXO coffee maker I returned more than 6 weeks ago.

The coffee maker, which has a retail price of $199.99, arrived at OXO International in South Haven, Miss., on Dec. 26, 2020, the post office said.

Dee said she would send an email, presumably to a supervisor, with all the details of my request.

I had asked to talk to a supervisor, but was told all of them are "in a meeting."

She is probably the fourth or fifth woman I've talked to at 1-800-545-4411 since I returned the coffee maker, and she asked me for a tracking number to confirm once again that the coffee maker I returned actually arrived.

Bad service

So far, I've received terrible customer service from OXO, even though the company's guarantee promises:

"If you’re not satisfied with your purchase, we want to hear about it. We’ll replace it or refund you, because we’re here to make it better – guaranteed."

The terrible customer service from OXO just highlights the great customer service available at other retailers, especially Costco Wholesale, Amazon and Lands' End.

Full refund plus $20

For example, I ordered a Valentine's Day bouquet and vase for my wife from Costco Wholesale (Costco.com), and delivery was promised for Feb. 13, the day before the holiday.

But bad weather delayed the package until Feb. 15.

On Feb. 13, I received an email from Costco.com, offering an apology and promising a full refund of the $54.99 purchase price, plus a $20 Costco cash card.

Last summer, I purchased a beautiful hammock fashioned from laminated wood from Costco.com for $599.99, plus tax.

Besides manufacturing flaws that made assembling the hammock difficult, the layers of wood began to separate after a couple of months of use, and my wife asked me to return it.

Costco provided free shipping for the return and refunded the full purchase price.

I could go on and on about all of the hassle-free returns and full refunds at the warehouse and on Costco.com I've experienced as a Costco member for more than 20 years, but you get the idea.

Flawed coffee maker

I was excited by news that OXO was offering a 9-cup coffee maker in addition to the 8-cup version, and that I could avoid having hot water coming in contact with plastic.

But the single button-and-dial control on OXO's stylish machine (made of stainless steel, glass and silicone) was difficult to fathom for this older American, and I could never set the time.

There were bigger problems:

If you wanted to pour a cup of Joe before the brewing process was complete, the coffee wasn't hot enough, and the spring used was too weak to prevent hot water from dripping onto the hotplate for the stainless-steel carafe.

Finally, 9 cups were simply not enough for our family.

Back to a percolator

After I shipped the OXO coffee maker back to the company, I returned to making our coffee in a 12-cup Farberware Superfast Automatic Percolator my parents used about 30 years ago.

I bought the OXO coffee maker online on Nov. 27, 2020, and got a good deal, paying only $102.35 after Black Friday and other discounts, plus free shipping.

Now, 6 weeks after I returned it, I'm still chasing a refund of the purchase price, but have no hope of getting back the $30 in postage OXO forced me to pay.

OXO guarantee

Here is the full guarantee from the OXO website: 

"At OXO, we believe in better – better design, better functionality, better experience – and that’s exactly how we make our products. For more than two decades, we’ve made tools that delight and exceed expectations. Our curiosity drives us. 

"Your satisfaction inspires us. And we hope our attention to detail is why you’ll reach for our products again and again. If you’re not satisfied with your purchase, we want to hear about it. We’ll replace it or refund you, because we’re here to make it better – guaranteed."

Don't choke on your coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep on topic.